|One of my books, Living Cruelty Free at the Frankfurt Book Fair|
Friday, 7 September 2012
Great things about being a writer
Okay, I hold my hands up. There has been some complaining of late from me about how tough it is to be a writer with publishers giving your books away free without telling you and creepy people cyber stalking you.
So, I reckoned it was about time to look at the good stuff.
1. You can look up any website and claim its research. Last night I searched for 'how to kill someone and get away with it.' If the police think I'm up to something, I have a ready-made excuse, 'I'm writing a book' even if I am plotting murder:) Only kidding.
2. You get to develop multiple personalities without ending up on medication.
3. You can sit doing nothing for ages and still say you're working. Well, you can't expect those plot knots to unknot themselves.
4. If you're life is depressing you can create a better one. Become a character you’ve created. Immerse yourself in it. Live in it.
5. You can get revenge on anyone you like by having something awful happen to them in your book, and there's not a thing you can do about it. A dentist who was horrible to me, was eaten by his dogs, penis and all. I did change his name.
6. You will never be alone. You have all those characters to keep you company.
7. You can change the world; mould it into whatever you want. Create happy endings. Make sure the bad guys (or girls) get their comeuppance. Things you don’t get to do in real life.
8. There is no better feeling that a parcel coming containing the books you have lovingly crafted.
DI Duncan Waddell - Detective in a Coma Book 2
One lost girl. A bus full of secrets - My new WIP #amwriting
Vile City tells the story of abducted Shelley Craig and DI Duncan Waddell's attempts to find her. Vile City will be published...
I stumbled onto writing novellas by accident. I saw a snippet of news in Writers' News magazine. It said that a publisher was l...
Who was Bible John? In Vile City , a serial killer is going around Glasgow abducting and killing young women. The press hav...