Saturday 3 July 2021

Listen to your dad even if he drives you nuts (a belated Father's Day post)

 


My dad was driving me absolutely nuts. I was still renting in my 30s because house prices had gone through the roof. 

'Get a mortgage,' he told me. 'Then buy another property and rent out and that will pay for your mortgage.'
And that was a familiar discussion (well more like a lecture) from my dad despite my protests that my partner and I couldn't afford even one mortgage never mind two. 

But, despite how annoying that was, I always knew my dad was on my side. And, now I would like nothing more than to hear those familiar words again. Especially this father's Day. But for the 5th father's Day in a row I find myself without a father. I'm not alone. 

My dad passed away from multiple myeloma 5 years ago after a long fight that he looked as if he'd won several times, and there's not a day I don't miss him and long to hear those words get a mortgage then get another mortgage. 

The days I miss him most are his birthday and Father's Day. It doesn't help that you get bombarded constantly with Father's Day emails and promotions in stores and online. 

My dad loved to get presents even when it wasn't his birthday or father's Day or Christmas. Even when it was someone else's birthday he expected a present.

So, this Father's Day for those of you who still have your dad, remember to listen to him even when he's driving you nuts because he wants what's best for you. it might just be that like my late father that he lacks a bit of tact. 

Happy belated father's Day*, dad wherever you are. 
________________________________________________________________________________

*In Scotland, Father's Day was on June 20th, but it took me this long to get myself together long enough to write this post. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Most read