|Hopefully the person jumping out of your cake won't look as bored as these two!|
For a major scene in my book, How Kirsty Gets Her Kicks, I wanted my main character Kirsty to try and get close enough to someone who would immediately have her killed if he saw her.
- It's actually quite straightforward to hire a pop out cake, as cakes designed for jumping out of are called.
- Pop out cake are usually three tier cakes that resemble wedding cakes, you can even make your own. They can also be square.
- Note, I said make and not bake your own because the only similarity between these cakes and real ones is the edible frosting they may have on the outside.
- Quite often, a table cloth is placed over the bottom of the cake to hide the fact there is no bottom and that’s how the person inside gets inside. Other cakes sit on a kind of platter like this one - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-xtjrR5Dc8 and have wheels so that the cake can be wheeled in with the person inside. A section of the cake can be like a door to allow the person to get inside with ease.
- The top comes off and that’s how the person inside jumps out.
- A pop out cake even featured in Xena Warrior Princess. You can watch the footage by clicking here
Stay tuned for details, including the cover reveal, as you finally get to find out why Kirsty jumps out of a cake and how she gets on:)